Though it’s been unseasonably chilly here in NYC the past few days, there’s no mistaking the calendar – spring is here! Despite having to pull out my winter coat again, I am loving the longer days, flowers blossoming, and the sounds of birds outside.
Spring is a great opportunity to shake off the dark, cold days of winter & rejuvenate your body and mind. If winter left you feeling a bit stagnant and stuck, here are 5 simple ways to do some “internal spring cleaning” (likely more fun that closet that still needs organizing)!
1. Make a spring resolution. Did your new year’s resolutions fall by the wayside? No matter – make a spring resolution. Make it small and doable- take a 10 minute walk at lunch every day, or get to the gym once this week, or drink more water. What winter habits can you let go off?
2. Say no to one thing. Do you find yourself saying “yes” to things you really don’t want to do or people you don’t want to spend time with? What would it be like to say no to just one thing? Give it a try!
3. Spend 5 minutes outside. Winter has a way of pulling us inwards. We move slower, trudging through snow and slush, and often spend a lot of time inside. Spend 5 minutes outside & notice the spring energy around you – the birds singing, the buds blooming, and the sound of the rain.
4. Try one new thing. Maybe that’s a new yoga class, or unpacking those oil pastels you bought months ago, or a new food you’ve been meaning to try sometime.
5. Listen to a new song or style of music. Have you been listening to the same music over and over lately, or to no music at all? Mindful listening is a great way to break out of a rut – try a new song, artist, or genre. Give yourself the opportunity to just listen, without doing anything else.
Looking for more ways to slow down and recharge this spring? Sign up here to get my free guided relaxation audio track.